Every newbie bloggers have a question in mind that whether to go with Blogger or self-hosted WordPress platform. Even I got confused about blogging platform, but because of financial condition, I chose Blogger later on in 2014 moved to self-hosted WordPress.
As a beginner in blogging, you have two options for blogging platform Blogger or WordPress. I would suggest you start your blogging journey with BlogSpot blog to get a basic idea of blogging. If you are thinking that you have skills to drag more traffic, then depending on the results, move your blog to WordPress.
If you want to start a career in blogging, then I recommend you to go for self-hosted WordPress. Before proceeding my blog to WordPress, I understand all the WordPress dashboard, how we can use it, etc. In this post, I will compare both blogging platforms with the help of its features.
Blogger is Google product, and everyone knows that Google is very strict about security measures. WordPress, it is self-hosted blogging platform where we manage all things and hosting provider. You will get some security plugins in WordPress by using which you can make your blog very secure.
Blogger does not support any third-party plugin, so it’s the limitation of it. WordPress allow us to use third party plugins. There is some the plugin available in WordPress market. Plugins will lower the workload and adds more functionality in your blog with little efforts.
You will get some themes for both the platforms. If you want to buy a premium theme, then you can. Theme installation process for both platforms is different. Blogger is easy as compared to WordPress.
Moving your site from Blogger to a different platform is a complicated task. There is a significant risk that you will lose your search engine rankings, subscribers, and followers during the move. Even though blogger allows you to export your content, your data will stay on Google’s servers for a very long time. Using WordPress, you can move your site anywhere you want. You can move your WordPress site to a new host, change the domain name, or even move your site to other content management systems.
Blogger is an entirely free blogging platform. In the case of WordPress, you need to buy the web hosting to host your site. If you are using wordpress.com, then you need to buy mapping domain name, remove predefined ads, etc.
In WordPress, if you have stuck to some points then you will get help from hosting support which is available 24*7.In blogger you will not get any support, if you have some query, then you need to search it on google and fix it.My blog was hosted on Dreamhost, that time I have contacted so many times to their support, and it was my best experience to talk with them as they immediately fix my issue.
In WordPress, you will get regular updates for plugins and WordPress itself.You should be up to date to use the new features.In blogger, I have no seen new updates since long ago.
- Blogger is simple easy to use as compared to WordPress.
- As blogger is Google product, you will get security.
- Blogger is an entirely free platform, but in the case of WordPress, you have to buy some services, features.
- In blogger, no third-party plugins available but in the case of WordPress, there are lots of plugins available in the market.
- In Blogger, you will get in build integration of Adsense, Google Plus, and all other Google products.
- In blogger, you can store data up to 3GB, but in self-hosted WordPress blog, you will get unlimited bandwidth depending upon the hosting company and your plan.
- There are a limited number of controls available in blogger, but in WordPress, you can manage dashboard according to your need and lots of features available.
- The interface of WordPress is much better than blogger
- In blogger, your post is automatically linked with Google search engine.
- You can create your professional email id in wordpress.org(email@example.com).
- Some updates are releasing day by day in WordPress, but in blogger it’s rare.
You can make a career in blogging on Blogger platform also. There are some great blogger blogs I have seen having very much traffic. If you are severe about blogging and you have coding skills, then I would recommend you to go for self-hosted WordPress. Around 16% websites are hosted on WordPress platform means you can understand how popular WordPress is.