Timely backup of your WordPress blog is necessary. In case if you lost all your data, you can restore it from backup. I am using UpdraftsPlus for myWordPresss backup. UpdraftPlus is the free WordPress backup plugin which I have ever used. This plugin allows you to automatically and manual backup of WordPress blog.
In this tutorial, I am going to tell you the complete setup of UpdraftPlus and how you can restore it from backup.
First, install the UpdraftPlus WordPress plugin from the store.
To open the UpdraftPlus dashboard, go to Setting> UpdraftPlus Backups or else you can easily see the UpdraftPlus option at the top of WordPress dashboard.
When you open the updraftplus setting, you will be landed to the above screen where you can see the last backups. To schedule, a WordPress backups go to the setting tab.
In this, you can set the backup daily, weekly, fortnightly, monthly depending on your requirement. I have kept the daily backup of my WordPress blog (to make it more secure). Now the real question arises where our data will get saved and what data will get saved?
Updraftplus offer you a various option to save your backups on the clouds. I choose the Dropbox to keep my WordPress blog backups.
- If you look at all other cloud services, only a few of them are better compared to Dropbox. It is very fast and immaculate UI for the application. Dropbox is prepared only for cloud storage.
- Dropbox offers up to 28GB if you refer a friend. For each referral, you will get 500MB of free space.
Note- You can use whichever you want, might be your experience with Dropbox is worst. Earlier I have written an article on three best cloud storage company Onedrive vs. Google Drive vs. Dropbox do read it if you are in confusion.
Once you select the cloud service, you will need to authenticate it to access your account. Once done, all set now. Your WordPress blog will automatically get backed up to cloud storage which you have chosen.
Types of data to save
Updraftplus covers almost all the data present on your blog like
- All the plugins with setting
- All uploads(images/videos etc)
- Any other directory found in the wp-content folder
These all data are sufficient to recover or set the blog newly. You can manually choose the data which you want to backup in the setting.
The below are some useful WordPress plugins which will help you to improve the performance of WordPress blog
- WP-Smush the best image optimization WordPress plugin
- WP-Sweep and WP-Optimize WordPress plugins to optimize the database.
- WordPress notification bar WordPress plugin setup
Recover the backup from updraftplus
It is a very simple and quickest process to get the back backup in case of any loss. Only go to the existing backup tabs where you will get the last five back-ups. You can select the latest backup and restore it. All set, your blog again go live which was previously.
This is the only thing why I choose the updraftplus. Also, all the above features are free if you want to upgrade it to the premium version you can because you will be satisfied with the free version.
Updraftplus premium and gold will offer you more features than the free version. Here I have sorted out some important features
- Cloning and Migration- If you want to change the domain name but keep the data as it is then you can do it with updraftplus. Only clone your site and move it to new domain name.
- Get rid of the ads in the premium version.
- You will get technical support from the developer whenever you need.
- Automatically update the WordPress blog before the update of plugin, theme, etc.
- Backup all the files along with the WordPress files.
- In premium, you can set the exact time to backup and retain the backup.
- You can lock the updraftplus with the password and choose whoever can access it.
- If you find any bug, then you can immediately report it.
- You can restore the backup from any other WordPress backup plugins.
- You will get a 1GB of updraft vault where you can store the WordPress data. For gold users, you will get 50GB of the free space.
Updraftplus Premium Pricing
You will get the updraftplus premium version at $70-$145 depending upon the how many sites you are using
- If you are using premium plugin for two sites, then it’s for $70
- If you are using it for up to 10 WordPress blog, then it’s for $90
- For the developer, it will be at $145
There are some WordPress backup plugins available in the market, out of which I tried backupbuddy and updraftplus. I find updraftplus is good and easy to use and restore. Backupbuddy will store all the data on the hosting, and it will increase the size of the wp-content. Whoever don’t know where the backupbuddy store’s data they will find is not a useful plugin. Initially, I thought the same and moved to the updraftplus and I am fully satisfied with this plugin.
If you are using another plugin to backup your WordPress blog, then let our readers know.
Latest posts by Amit Kharbade (see all)
- How to set up WordPress locally using DesktopServer in 10 minutes? - December 10, 2017
- Kinsta Affiliate Program- Earn upto $500 per referral - December 3, 2017
- Fastest loading SEO WordPress Theme- Schema (Review and Offer) - November 26, 2017