Google search console previously known as Google webmaster tool is a free tool by Google which will help you to manage and monitor your website and see the performance of your site. Google webmaster tool was launched before ten years, on May 20, 2015, renamed as Google search console.
With the help of Google search console, you can do the below things
- Errors encountered while crawling your site.
- Allow you to submit the sitemap, how many sitemaps you have submitted and how much indexed.
- Which keywords are doing well for your website, page rank, impressions, etc.?
- How many sites linked to your site.
- Sitelinks, Data highlighter and more.
- Write and check the robot.txt
- List of internal and external pages that linked your website.
- You can demote sitelinks for selected URL’S.
In shorts, you can setup your website as you want that Google will show it in search results. To avail all these features, first, you need to setup webmaster for your website.
You need to verify the website, so Google will let you know if any violation, hacking, malware activity happens to your site. Here I am going to tell you how to setup Google search console.
This is the right place to learn about the configuration of the Google search console for the website.
Setup Google Search Console
- Sign in with Google search console with your Google account.
- Click on add a site and add your website.
- Once you add the site, you will get an email regarding what to do next, follow all the steps mentioned in the mail.
Verify site in Google search console
Once you add the website in webmaster its time to verify it. You will automatically be redirected to the verification screen where you will get few options to verify your ownership.
You can see the recommended method to verify it. Here you just need to add the meta tag to your home page(inside the head tag). This is the simplest way to verify.
Once, you add the meta tag click on the verify.
Otherwise, you can use the Google analytics, Google tag manager alternate methods.
Below are the alternative ways to verify your ownership with Google search console
- Upload HTML file to the site.
- Add a meta tag to your site home page.
- Sign into your domain name provider.
- Use google analytics account.
- Use google tag manager account.
I highly recommend you to use the meta tag to verify your website. Mostly all bloggers use it as its very simple to setup and efficient.
Add all your website versions
You need to add both WWW and non-WWW versions of your site and if you are using HTTPS protocol then add it too.
Select your preferred version
You need to decide whether your site wants to appear with or without WWW.
Select target country
If you want your website to target specific geographic location, then choose it too.
Share access with co-workers
If you want to give appropriate access level to google search console, then you can choose it from setting. They can access the crawl errors, keywords, etc.
Submit a sitemap
This is essential for crawling and indexing your web pages. Sitemap submits all your pages to Google search engine. It means Google and Google will index all your web pages will know about your pages. I have written one article regarding how to submit a sitemap, and please have a look.
If you want to read more about how to use Google search console then read here
Keep in mind that you don’t need to find the above setting as you already got the email just click each button you will redirect to the appropriate setting tab. Once you setup Google search console, then it’s time to setup google analytics.
Latest posts by Amit Kharbade (see all)
- How to set up WordPress locally using DesktopServer in 10 minutes? - December 10, 2017
- Kinsta Affiliate Program- Earn upto $500 per referral - December 3, 2017
- Fastest loading SEO WordPress Theme- Schema (Review and Offer) - November 26, 2017