Google search console previously known as Google webmaster tool is a free tool by Google that will help you to manage and monitor your website and see the performance of your site. With the help of Google search console, you can take advantage of following things
- Errors encountered while crawling your site.
- Allow you to submit the sitemap, how many sitemaps you have submitted and how much indexed.
- Which keywords are doing well for your website, page rank, impressions, etc.?
- How many sites linked to your site.
- Sitelinks, Data highlighter and more.
- Write and check the robot.txt
- List of internal and external pages that linked your website.
- You can demote sitelinks for selected URL’S.
In shorts, you can setup your website as you want that Google will show it in search results. Google webmaster tool was launched before ten years, on May 20, 2015, renamed as Google search console. To avail all these features, you need to setup webmaster for your website, Google you need to verify the website, so Google will let you know if any violation, hacking, malware activity happens to your site. Here I am going to tell you how to setup Google search console.
Read this: Complete Google Adsense guide for beginner
Setup Google Search Console
- Sign in with Google search console with your Google account.
- Click on add a site and add your website.
- Once you add the site, you will get a mail regarding what to do next, follow all the steps mentioned in the mail.
Step 1: Verify site in google search console
Once you add the site its time to google that which website you are owing.Go to setting gear and verification details. You will get five different ways to verify your property.
You can check website by following ways
- Upload HTML file to the site.
- Add a meta tag to your site home page.
- Sign into your domain name provider.
- Use google analytics account.
- Use google tag manager account.
I highly recommend you to use the meta tag to verify your website. Mostly all bloggers use it as its very simple to setup and efficient.
Only add this meta tag to your site <head> tag and click verify.
Step 2: Add all your website version
You need to add both WWW and non-WWW versions of your site and if you are using HTTPS protocol then add it too.
Step 3: Select your preferred version
You need to decide whether your site wants to appear with or without WWW.
Step 4: Select target country
If you want your website to target specific geographic location, then choose it too.
Step 5: Share access with co-workers
If you want to give appropriate access level to google search console, then you can choose it from setting. They can access the crawl errors, keywords, etc.
Step 6: Submit a sitemap
This feature is essential for crawling your web pages. Sitemap submits all your pages to Google search engine. It means all your web pages will be indexed by google and google will know about your pages. I have written one article regarding how to submit a sitemap, and please have a look.
Step 7: If you want to read more about how to use Google search console then read here
Keep in mind that you don’t need to find the above setting as you already got the mail just click each button you will redirect to the appropriate setting tab. Once you setup Google search console, then it’s time to setup google analytics.